Whitchurch was originally a Roman settlement founded in AD 52 and was called Mediolanum (Middle of the Plain). Later it was called Weston, presumably as its location was on the western edge of Shropshire, before finally settling with Whitchurch, called after the church constructed from white stone during the Norman period. It has also been known as Album Monasterium and Blancminster. A short branch of the Llangollen Canal terminated in the centre of the town, this was abandoned in 1944 and filled in. In 1993 a few hundred yards of the old arm were reclaimed to provide moorings for visitors to the town.